10 Things Millennials Don’t Understand About Madonna
On the day Madonna’s second studio album turns 30, VH1 has a unique look back at the things that made – and make – Madonna the one and only Queen of Pop.
The groundbreaking pop LP did more than establish the Material Girl – single No. 2 off the record – as a cultural phenomenon, it defined a decade. After Virgin, Madonna became a style and music icon; her rough-and-tumble yet glam look was mimicked by teens around the world. With the record, Madonna became arguably the world’s first dance-pop superstar. Oh, and the best.
Before there was Beyoncé, Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, there was Madonna. Millennials, take a stadium of seats, because we’re about to unload several truths about the pop icon that you don’t – and definitely should – know.
Visit vh1.com to find out why the following are 10 Things Millennials Don’t Understand About Madonna
1. She is still relevant.
2. Her age is irrelevant — and people really need to stop obsessing over it.
3. She was talking about social issues before it was “cool.”
4. She’s a damn good songwriter.
5. Yes, she can sing.
6. She didn’t peak in the ’80s.
7. Like a Prayer and Ray of Light will always be more influential than Blackout, The Fame Monster and yes Beyoncé.
8. She paved the way for every female artist. And they should thank her.
9. Sorry Jay-Z, but Madonna is pop music’s greatest living entertainer.
10. Believe it or not, she’s starred in a few decent films.